The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Thirty Paintings in 30 Days - Day Ten

Pin It
"Bobbing ..."
Oil, 6" x 6" on museum quality panel
$200.00
Click here to purchase.

Thirty Things You Don't Know About Me

#10 - I love to fish!

It's true! I absolutely love to fish. I have fished in the surf of the ocean, fished in lakes and streams, fished for salmon in Alaska and tried fly fishing maany times. I have lots of "fish stories" but none of them are related to the size of the fish caught. Rather they are about a run-in with a  HUGE bear in Alaska or the time I knocked myself out fishing on the beach. Both are true, I promise. But I will only share one story.

My "fish story" took place shortly after I met my husband's parents for the first time in 1993. We were all at Mission Beach in San Diego for a mini vacation and I was very excited to join Dave's dad, cousins and uncle for an early morning of surf fishing. We all had very large sinkers on our lines to help keep the hook anchored and free from getting tossed in the waves. Unfortunately one of my casts got a bit off base and I managed to swing the line around and knock myself in the head with the sinker. I went out cold ... straight in to the ocean. The worst part was the the blood ... and yes, I looked exactly like Sissy Spacek in the movie Carrie. Even a small cut to the head looks way worse than it really is.

After a brief visit to a family friend/doctor I was back on the beach for a nice day. Until, that is, I decided to try wind surfing. I managed to master sailing out of the bay but couldn't manage to figure out how to get back. Unfortunately the coast guard (with flashing lights and a siren, I might add) had to rescue me.

It's a miracle Dave and I eventually married after my stellar performance that day. It was not a great day to impress my future in-laws!

I have a few spots open in my South Pasadena workshop this month. We are painting large canvases and I would love it if you could join me! Click here for more information. Next week I am releasing my 2015 workshop schedule. I am coming to Cape Cod, Atlanta and Richmond in 2015! Plus you can paint and stay with me in Ventura, CA at the beach house! Click here for more information!

I am also offering Monday Online Studio painting classes beginning October 2014! Join me each month as we paint boats, roosters, glass, beach scenes, umbrellas, etc. with a palette knife!
Click here to sign up!

  www.dickblick.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails